Monday, January 6, 2014

Resolution and Goals Update

How are those resolutions working out for you?  Has anyone lost any weight?  Given up smoking?  We're not quite a week in yet.  Don't tell me you've blown it already!?

Good for you if you haven't.

I'm thrilled to be at 5500 words so far this month/year.  Last night, I almost took the night off.  After all, there's a day off built into my 6000 words a week goal.  I felt like I could use one.

Guess how many words I'd have written if I took a night off every time I felt like it?  Remember, I love the process of writing as much as the result.  Go on, guess?  That's right.  0.

However, I'm convinced that the vast majority of successful writers are successful because of their work ethic.  It even says so on pages 3-4 of my Christmas present (Crafting Novels & Short Stories.)  "What usually separates good writers from bad ones (and often, published writers from unpublished ones) is a strong work habit.  That's it.  That's the real secret.  Real writers work hard."

So I wrote, and that was even before I read the above quote.  As usually happens when sitting down reluctantly for a writing session, I managed to break through a scene problem.

All that to say, I'd encourage you to continue pursuing your goals.  Especially your writing goals.  Don't regret not working towards fulfilling them.

No comments:

Post a Comment