Thursday, January 23, 2014

100 Word Story: Dearly Departed

Another 100 word story.  I wrote this back in 2009, when I was equally fascinated with micro fiction and zombies.  This was originally published at http://www.microhorror.com/microhorror/author/scott-d-hughey/dearly-departed/

There's a better story than the one here, I think.  Maybe one day I'll take my time and explore what happens next.



Dearly Departed
By Scott D. Hughey

My wife moaned as she tried to bite me. Handcuffs held her fast to the bed.

I still loved her, and couldn’t bear to kill her. She’d begged me to when she was bitten. We had almost made it. I’d dropped the keys when the dead attacked. We retreated. Too late.

“Jake,” she’d said, her arm bleeding. “Don’t let me become one.” I promised– the first lie I ever told her. I loved her too much to let go.

“Till death do we part.” Was this death? Maybe sickness?

“I’ll protect you. I’m going to find you someone to eat.”



No comments:

Post a Comment