Friday, January 24, 2014

Rejected First Drafts

See me on Twitter here:
https://twitter.com/TheWriteScott
Had some twitter fun this morning.  You sometimes see people coming up with the rejected first drafts of familiar lines or sentences.  I forced myself to stop at three.  This is the kind of thing I used to spend all day doing, and that way leads back to madness.

This started when I remembered  Ray Bradbury's great opening line, "It was a pleasure to burn."  Fahrenheit 451 was my first real science fiction novel, and every once in a while I'm reminded of it.  But enough from me.  Could the masters have started their famous works this way?

"It was a pleasure to burp."
Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury

"The hero of my own life? Nah. I'll just become the world's best magician."
David Copperfield - Charles Dickens

"Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself. Or do I? Mwuhahaha!"
Song of Myself - Walt Whitman

No comments:

Post a Comment