Monday, December 23, 2013

By Writers, For Writers



Some writing quotes, readily available in a google search near you, and why they help:

1. "I only write when I am inspired. Fortunately I am inspired at 9 o'clock every morning." William Faulkner
Put another way- the muse is a myth.  William (can I call him William?) reminds me that doing the work brings results.

2. "All through my career I've written 1,000 words a day--even if I've got a hangover. You've got to discipline yourself if you're professional. There's no other way." J.G. Ballard

Again, discipline, consistency and work ethic are the keys.

3. "The writer's duty is to keep on writing." William Styron

Write on!

4. “Writing a novel is like driving a car at night. You can see only as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.” E.L. Doctorow

This is true for any story I think, but especially the novel.  And it gives me hope.


5. "You have to finish things- that's what you learn from, you learn by finishing things." Neil Gaiman
This tidbit, along with the other similar quotes by Neil, is what propelled me to actually finishing the manuscripts that didn't seem to be working.  And, much to my surprise, doing so taught me how to finish stories.


6. Planning to write is not writing. Outlining--researching--talking to people about what you’re doing, none of that is writing. Writing is writing." E. L. Doctorow

This one hurts.  It's where so many people fail though, or at least that's my perception.  I've spent so much time over the years thinking about it, reading about it, talking about it, even blogging about it and yet... hmm.  I'd better get back to actually doing it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment