Thursday, April 17, 2014

Character Development Game

Photo by shutterhacks
Have you played the "I never" game?" If not, here's how it's done.

You get in a group of 2 or more people. You take turns saying, "I've never..." and fill in the blank.

For instance, "I've never written a New York Times Bestselling Novel." If you find yourself in a group with Stephen King, Mary Higgins Clark and James Patterson, this is a good statement to start out with.

Anyone is the group that has done the thing that you've never done, has to raise their hand. Or, if you're in college, they have to take a drink. You'll find several ways to figure out who wins the game.

Here's the point. If you're looking for creative ways to create characters, and to learn more about them, have them play this game. Make a list of what each character has and has not done. Better yet, write the scene out, and have them take a drink for each thing they've done. That way you learn their voices AND you know what they're like drunk.

As a bonus, to get you started, I've never...

  • Gone backwards in time and killed my own grandfather
  • Cut my tongue with a steak knife
  • Bitten a vampire
  • Enjoyed making small talk with barbers
  • Jumped out of a tree to see if my latent super powers have activated yet
  • Taken candy from a baby
  • Accidentally electrocuted myself
  • Purposefully electrocuted myself
  • Seen a ghost. Wait. I meant a werewolf ghost.

No comments:

Post a Comment